Ngozi Fulani faces ‘horrific abuse’ after royal race row
The charity boss who was asked where she was ‘really from’ at a Buckingham Palace reception has revealed the ‘horrific abuse’ she has encountered after speaking out about her experience.
Ngozi Fulani, chief executive of Sistah Space, said she had been thrown into an ‘emotional whirlwind’ after sharing the comments made by Lady Susan Hussey, Prince William’s godmother and a friend of the late Queen.
The black British activist has confirmed she is willing to visit the palace after reports suggested she was invited to meet with King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla.
Lady Hussey has resigned from her honourary role in the royal household after reportedly asking ‘where do your people come from?’
In a statement on Monday, Ms Fulani said the past week had been ‘an extremely difficult time for us all’ at Sistah Space, which offers specialist support for women of African and Caribbean heritage affected by domestic and sexual abuse.
‘My team, family and I have been put under immense pressure and received some horrific abuse via social media’, she said.
‘Yet throughout this time, I have been heartened by the huge amount of support we have received.’
She went on: ‘What took place at the event is now well documented, and sadly is something that occurs on an all too regular basis.
‘Incidents like this not only cause emotional harm to those involved but do also have wider repercussions within the community.
‘I have experienced first-hand what happens when a black woman faces adversity and has to overcome additional barriers when trying to report it.
‘This is at the heart of what we do at Sister Space, and it has reiterated to me just how important the work we do is.
‘I remain dedicated to raising awareness around cultural competency, and will go to Buckingham Palace, or anywhere else, if it will help raise positive change and save lives.’
Ms Fulani added that she wanted ‘time to pause, reflect and learn from these events’ and to concentrate on her charity.
She said she’d be making no further comments on the incident for now, and would be focusing on 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence.
Plans are reportedly underway for Charles and Camilla to meet Ms Fulani so that they can address what happened at the event.
It’s understood that Lady Hussey is willing to make a personal apology if it would be welcomed, the BBC reports.
Last week, a spokesperson for Prince William said ‘racism has no place in our society’.
They added: ‘The comments were unacceptable, and it is right that the individual has stepped aside with immediate effect.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at email@example.com.
For more stories like this, check our news page.